Innovation, new technologies, resilience, geopolitics, blockchain technology, green finance, integration and sustainability of energy systems, were just a few of the critical topics discussed during the Councils 2018 World Energy Week in Milan. The week-long programme offered a wide range of events and networking opportunities for the global energy community. 5 takeaways from the event:
- A dynamic approach to energy systems resilience is possible if firms, cities and governments cooperate and share best practices.
- Global cooperation, regional integration, political will and a global carbon price can enable better targeting of reductions to better address the climate challenge.
- Infrastructure insecurity is raising the stakes on resiliency.
- Financing is increasing, but there are still big global investment gaps.
- All forms of storage are likely to be increasingly important.