- secure energy supply,
- access to affordable energy,
- sustainability in the generation and consumption of energy.
Austria ranks fourth in the current worldwide Trilemma Index Ranking.
The annual World Energy Issues Monitor provides unique insight into what energy policymakers, CEOs and leading experts identify as Critical Uncertainties and Action Priorities. New this year, the Issues Monitor also provides readers with the views of the individual customer, detailing their perceptions of their role in the overall energy system. The Issues Monitor report includes a global issues map, 58 country maps, and six regional maps, as well as perspectives from Future Energy Leaders (FEL) and energy innovators. The Issues Monitor and maps offer a range of opportunities for strategic conversations leading to a better understanding of the progression of the energy transition.
The 2020 edition summarizes the views of over 3,000 energy leaders from 104 countries including ministers, chief executives and the heads of the WEC’s national member committees.
- Modern Jazz, which represents a "digitally disrupted" and market-driven innovative world.
- Unfinished Symphony, a future in which more "intelligent" and circular economic growth models drive clean, affordable and sustainable energy transition and
- Hard Rock, which explores the consequences of inward-looking policies and weaker and unsustainable economic growth, in a more fragmented world.
The updated World Energy Scenarios provide new insights into the broader and fast-shifting landscape of innovation, which is emerging from within and beyond the energy system and includes not only new energy technologies but also policy, business model and social innovations. The scenarios highlight how different combinations of innovation accelerators –the "Constellations of Disruptions"– might trigger and scale to enable alternative energy pathways and disrupt existing value chains.